Don’t Let Allergies Ruin Your Trip Abroad
A lot of preparation is usually involved when planning a trip abroad. There are passports that may need to be renewed, travel visas that may need to be obtained, itineraries to plan and of course tons of packing to do.
One thing that many travelers forget about, and something that has the potential to ruin an otherwise perfectly planned trip – is the possibility of a foreign climate triggering allergies that the traveler may not even be aware they have.
Especially when traveling to climates that you haven’t visited before, it’s usually a good idea to do a bit of research about the type of allergens present at your destination during the particular time of year that you plan to travel.
Regardless of where you plan to travel, unless your destination is the North Pole, you are likely to encounter some form of pollen. Not to mention that you can actually bring your own allergens with you, clinging to your clothes and personal items.
Taking this fact into account, there are a few precautions you can plan to take as you prepare for your trip –
- Spend less time outdoors during the hours when pollen levels peak (usually between 5:00 am AM and 10 am) .
- Keep the windows of your vacation residence closed especially if it’s windy.
- Ask for synthetic mattress and pillow covers at your hotel (as allergens are less likely to attach themselves to such material).
- Shower as soon as possible after returning from time spent outdoors.
- Last but not least pack sprays for hay fever – otherwise known as allergic rhinitis – the most common type of allergy.
Follow the tips above along with all your other planning and you’re bound to have a trip to remember!
As always, feel free to share mementos from your trip with us on our Facebook page and happy travels!